What Hosts Should Expect
Hosting a successful iCan Bike program involves a good deal of effort to organize, however, the feedback and gratitude you will receive from riders, families and volunteers will make it worth all your hard work. Being an iCan Bike program host may be the toughest job you ever loved!
iCan Bike hosts are responsible for:
- Securing a local suitable facility, preferably climate-controlled, with a minimum indoor riding area of 6,800 square feet to conduct our bike program for 5 days. We need access to the facility for a couple hours on Sunday for set-up and parent and volunteer orientation and during normal business hours each day Monday through Friday. We also need an equivalently sized outdoor riding area, relatively flat and free of hazardous obstacles, only for the days of Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of camp.
- Paying a fixed fee of $8,450 to iCan Shine for up to 40 riders ($8,250 if deposit received by November 1st) and providing lodging for two iCan Bike staff for the week (2 hotel rooms for 7 nights)
- Establishing a rider registration fee to charge and collect from families (principally used to subsidize the above mentioned program cost – rider registration fees generally range from $150 to $250 per rider).
- Recruiting and registering local riders and volunteer spotters (2 spotters per rider)
- Planning and administering the daily bike program check-in process, providing name-tags, t-shirts and recognition awards to riders and volunteers
In order to make iCan Bike programs efficient and successful, we have developed standardized marketing, registration and other informational documents (see ‘Host Documents’ below). Our goal in doing this is to make hosting one of our iCan Bike programs as stress-free and seamless as possible. Over the years, we have accumulated a number of best practices on hosting efficient and successful iCan Bike programs and have fine-tuned this process to be reflected in the documentation below readily available to all camp hosts. As an iCan Bike program host, you will benefit from our many years of fine-tuning what works best.
We encourage you to read what our our 2014 bike camp hosts said when asked if our staff met their expectations and to comment about their experience hosting our iCan Bike program in our Host Testimonials.
Below are standardized marketing, registration and other informational documents for use by our iCan Bike Hosts. Where applicable, hosts would insert their specific program details such as location, program dates and registration fees.