What Hosts Should Expect
Hosting a successful iCan Dance program involves a good deal of effort, however, the feedback and gratitude you will receive from dancers, families and volunteers will make it worth all your hard work. Being an iCan Dance host may be the toughest job you’ve ever loved!
We offer two types of iCan Dance programs. Our iCan Dance Camp is the most common and is described below. Additionally, we offer an iCan Dance After School Program (ASP) specially designed for school district and private school hosts interested in engaging and empowering the typically-developing peer students of the dancers as the volunteer spotters.
iCan Dance Camp Hosts are responsible for:
- Securing a local suitable climate-controlled facility (accessible for wheelchairs) such as a gymnasium, dance room, fitness room, yoga room, to conduct our dance program Monday through Friday during normal business hours
- Allowing access to the facility for two hours on the Sunday afternoon/evening before camp (parent and volunteer orientation)
- Paying a fixed program fee of $5,450 to iCan Shine for between 4 and 8 dancers during each of the five daily 60-minute sessions
- Providing lodging for two iCan Dance staff for the week (2 hotel rooms for 7 nights)
- Establishing a dancer registration fee to charge and collect from families (used to fund the above mentioned program fee – dancer registration fees generally range from $75 to $80 per dancer)
- Recruiting and registering local dancers and volunteer spotters (1 to 2 spotters per dancer)
- Planning and administering the daily check-in process, providing name-tags, t-shirts and recognition awards to dancers and volunteers
Getting up to speed on becoming an iCan Dance Camp Host:
The most efficient way to understand what is involved in being an iCan Dance Camp host is to:
- Download and read our Dance Camp Host Overview
- Email Lisa at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a convenient day and time to discuss more details over the phone
Difference between an iCan Dance Camp and After School Program (ASP):
The iCan Dance Camp differs from an ASP to the extent that an ASP:
- utilizes the typically-developing peer students of the dancers as volunteer spotters
- includes an educational daily one hour team-building and diversification training component for the volunteer spotters
- includes one or two 60-minute session(s) per day (vs. five 60-minute sessions per day in a Camp) serving between 4 and 8 dancers per session depending on square footage of the dancing area
- occurs during the school year in the afternoon after school ends
- costs $3,250 for one session or $3,750 for two sessions (vs. $5,450 for a Camp), plus lodging for two iCan Dance staff for the week.
If interested in hosting an iCan Dance ASP please start by reading the comprehensive Dance ASP Host Overview.
In order to make iCan Dance programs efficient and successful, we have developed standardized planning, administrative, marketing, registration and other informational documents. Our goal in doing this is to make hosting one of our iCan Dance programs as stress-free and seamless as possible.
Over the years, we have accumulated a number of best practices on hosting efficient and successful programs and have fine-tuned this process to be reflected in the documentation below readily available to all hosts. As an iCan Dance program host, you will benefit from our many years of determining what works best and therefore avoid having to re-invent the process.
Finally, we work especially close with our new ‘rookie’ hosts to ensure they are completely up to speed and fully supported in the endeavor to plan their first dance program. After hosting their first program, our hosts find that hosting subsequent programs becomes substantially easier.