What Hosts Should Expect
Hosting a successful iCan Swim program involves a good deal of effort, however, the feedback and gratitude you will receive from swimmers, families and volunteers will make it worth all your hard work. Being an iCan Swim host may be the toughest job you’ve ever loved!
iCan Swim Camp Hosts are responsible for:
- Securing a local suitable pool, preferably indoors, with a minimum swim area of 675 square feet in which to conduct our swim program Monday through Friday during normal business hours
- Ensuring the pool has a trained and certified lifeguard on duty
- Recruiting 2-4 local instructors certified to teach learn-to-swim programs, preferably with teaching experience. These individuals will be trained and certified by our staff as Adapted Aquatic Instructors during the swim camp in order to continue classes in your local community after the camp week ends
- Allowing access to the facility for approximately 5 hours on the Sunday before camp (Adapted Aquatic Instructor training for 4 hours, parent and volunteer orientation and volunteer training for a total of about 90 minutes)
- Paying a fixed program fee of $5,950 ($5,750 if deposit received by January 1st)
- Swim camp accommodates between 3 and 6 swimmers during each of the five daily sessions for between 15 and 30 swimmers in total
- Hosts have the flexibility to customize the five daily sessions by combining any combination of 45-minute (ages 3 to 7) and 60-minute (ages 8 and above) sessions
- Providing local lodging for two iCan Swim staff for the week (2 hotel rooms for 7 nights)
- Establishing a swimmer registration fee to collect from families (used to subsidize the above mentioned program fee) generally ranging from $125 to $175 per swimmer
- Recruiting and registering local swimmers and volunteers (1 volunteer per swimmer)
- Planning and administering the daily check-in process
Getting up to speed on becoming an iCan Swim Camp Host:
The most efficient way to understand what is involved in being an iCan Swim Camp host is to:
- Review our Swim Camp Host Overview document which provides a comprehensive description of our iCan Swim program
- E-mail Lisa at email@example.com to set up a convenient day and time to discuss more details over the phone
In order to make iCan Swim programs efficient and successful, we have developed standardized planning, administrative, marketing, registration and other informational documents. Our goal in doing this is to make hosting one of our iCan Swim programs as stress-free and seamless as possible.
Over the years, we have accumulated a number of best practices on hosting efficient and successful programs and have fine-tuned this process to be reflected in the documentation below readily available to all hosts. As an iCan Swim program host, you will benefit from our many years of determining what works best and therefore avoid having to re-invent the process.
Finally, we work especially close with our new ‘rookie’ hosts to ensure they are completely up to speed and fully supported in the endeavor to plan their first swim program. After hosting their first program, our hosts find that hosting subsequent programs becomes substantially easier.